Leading Scientific Research on Undue Influence, its Effects and the Law
Steven Hassan, PhD, Primary Investigator
Our purpose is to conduct and publish research on undue influence in order to develop the scientific knowledge needed to update legal and social policies to reflect the current understanding of bioethics and to help diverse individuals and groups affected by undue influence. We develop curricula and provide trainings to assist individuals, organizations and governments in combating undue influence. We use the latest knowledge in social psychology, neuroscience, human development and related issues of identity to increase the understanding of healthy and ethical influence as well as unethical influence.
Freedom From Undue Influence is a division of Dare Association, Inc.
Freedom From Undue Influence is dedicated to human rights and empowering people to think for themselves and make independent decisions. We study undue influence in all its myriad forms: from the individual predator, who is skilled in the use of covert hypnosis, to misuse of authority and boundaries for exploitative purposes. This includes destructive cults of all types: religious, political, “therapy,” Large Group Awareness Trainings, Commercial cults including pimps and traffickers, multi-level marketing groups, terrorist cults like Daesh, Boko Haram, violent Neo-Nazi and White power groups as well as authoritarian governments.
Hassan, S., Shah, M.J. The anatomy of undue influence used by terrorist cults and traffickers to induce helplessness and trauma, so creating false identities. Ethics, Medicine and Public Health (2019) 8, 97-107 Elsevier Masson SAS. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jemep.2019.03.002
Please support Freedom From Undue Influence’s groundbreaking scholarship and research to document qualitatively and quantitatively the negative effects of undue influence.
Freedom of Mind Blog
- Redemption and the Prison System with Ramadan Shabazz and Richard Parker, MD
- Finding Her Way Out of Scientology’s Infamous Sea Org with Katherine Spallino
- Surviving our Catastrophes: Celebrating the Resilience and Renewal of Survivors with Robert Jay Lifton, M.D.
- In Memoriam: Alan W. Scheflin
- The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump and Censorship of Experts with Bandy X. Lee M.D.
- Chinese Netizen’s protests and Freedom of Mind as a Human Right with Researcher Matt Bywater
- Identifying and Healing Religious Trauma, with Darren M. Slade, Ph.D.
- Exiting the Cult of Trump with #Jan6er Pam Hemphill
- Sins of my Father: Growing up with America’s Most Dangerous White Supremacist with Kelvin Pierce
- The Rod of Fear: Combating Gun Violence with Jonathan Lowy
- Unmasking the Kundalini Yoga Cult of Yogi Bhajan With Els Coenen
- Forager: Field Notes on Surviving a Family Cult with Michelle Dowd
- Country Over Party: An Interview With Denver Riggleman
- Forensic Psychologist and Cult Expert Dr. Steve Eichel on Hypnosis, Social Contagion, and Disinformation
- The Brainwashing of My Dad with Jen Senko