Leading Scientific Research on Undue Influence, its Effects and the Law
Steven Hassan, PhD, Primary Investigator
Our purpose is to conduct and publish research on undue influence in order to develop the scientific knowledge needed to update legal and social policies to reflect the current understanding of bioethics and to help diverse individuals and groups affected by undue influence. We develop curricula and provide trainings to assist individuals, organizations and governments in combating undue influence. We use the latest knowledge in social psychology, neuroscience, human development and related issues of identity to increase the understanding of healthy and ethical influence as well as unethical influence.
Freedom From Undue Influence is a division of Dare Association, Inc.
Freedom From Undue Influence is dedicated to human rights and empowering people to think for themselves and make independent decisions. We study undue influence in all its myriad forms: from the individual predator, who is skilled in the use of covert hypnosis, to misuse of authority and boundaries for exploitative purposes. This includes destructive cults of all types: religious, political, “therapy,” Large Group Awareness Trainings, Commercial cults including pimps and traffickers, multi-level marketing groups, terrorist cults like Daesh, Boko Haram, violent Neo-Nazi and White power groups as well as authoritarian governments.
Hassan, S., Shah, M.J. The anatomy of undue influence used by terrorist cults and traffickers to induce helplessness and trauma, so creating false identities. Ethics, Medicine and Public Health (2019) 8, 97-107 Elsevier Masson SAS. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jemep.2019.03.002
Please support Freedom From Undue Influence’s groundbreaking scholarship and research to document qualitatively and quantitatively the negative effects of undue influence.
Freedom of Mind Blog
- Online Radicalization with Data Scientist Dr. Stuart Shulman
- Taking Down Trump: 12 Rules for Prosecuting Donald Trump by Someone Who Did It Successfully with Tristan Snell
- 2024 Theocratic Politics & The New Apostolic Reformation with André Gagné and Frederick Clarkson
- Top Eleven Insights Cult Survivors Wish Therapists Knew, or, “I was tired of paying my therapist to teach her about cults”
- Psychedelic Research and Experimentation: Maintaining Strong Guardrails to Prevent TESCREAL Hallucinations and Undue Influence with Neşe Devenot, Ph.D.
- AI, Technology & Mind Control Topics in Natural Wellness and Spiritual Communities: with Dr. Melanie Trowbridge
- Special Discussion – Historic Decision in Spanish Courts Concerning Jehovah’s Witness Survivors
- Revitalizing Non-partisan Civics Education with iCivics.org Chief Louise Dubé
- When Religion Hurts You: Healing from Religious Trauma and the Impact of High Control Religion with Dr. Laura E. Anderson
- Breaking the Silence: Alva Johnson’s Journey as a Director in the 2016 Trump Campaign
- Utilizing Integrative Psychology and Psychedelic Therapy with Australian Psychologist Nigel Denning
- The Convergence of Cult Experience and Military Indoctrination with Former Army Captain Daniella Mestyanek Young
- Unveiling the La Luz del Mundo Cult: Sochil Martin’s Story of Resilience, Whistleblowing and Activism
- STRONGMEN: Mussolini to the Present- The Rising Tide of Online Authoritarian Influence with Ruth Ben-Ghiat
- The Transformative Power of Wonder with Monica C. Parker